4 Signs You Have Faulty Electrics


Table of Contents

Many things can go wrong inside your home, and some issues are easier to resolve than others. You might even be able to fix certain problems yourself, but sometimes it is better to leave it to the experts. One of the most important things that need to be working correctly in your home is the electrical wiring and fixtures, and unless you have experience working with this sort of thing, you should always call a professional electrician in Narooma for help if you need it. Below are 4 signs that there might be electrical faults in your home, and you should never ignore them.

4 Signs You Have Faulty Electrics

1. Flickering Lights

If your lights appear to be flickering when you switch them on or get dimmer and brighter when you are in the room, this could be a sign that there is an issue with the wiring. Of course, you can always change the bulb first as this could be faulty, but if you do this and the problem persists, you might want to call in someone to further inspect the issue. Not only can this be irritating, but faulty wiring can also be a fire hazard, so you should never put off calling in a professional electrician to take a look.

2. Smell of Burning

An electrical burning has a very distinct smell, so you should be able to tell the difference between this and your dinner burning on the stove. This doesn’t necessarily mean that there is a fire, but it can indicate that somewhere an electrical outlet, appliance, or even the wiring in your house is overheating at the very least. Again, this can be a very serious fire hazard so if you smell an electrical burning (or any burning, for that matter), figure out where it’s coming from immediately. You might also want to temporarily switch off the electricity in your home until the issue can be resolved safely.

3. Sparking Outlets

Another indicator that something isn’t right is if your electrical outlets spark when you plug something in. This doesn’t always mean that you have an issue throughout the property; it could be due to losing wires in the outlet itself, which can be a relatively easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing. Of course, you can always try to look at yourself, but again, never do this if you have no experience or are unsure about what you’re doing because you could seriously hurt yourself.

4. Power Shortages

Does the electricity cut out randomly while you’re watching TV? Or if you plug in a hairdryer or phone charger? This could be happening for several reasons, but often it is an issue with a particular outlet, light switch, or even a faulty appliance. If you can’t determine what is causing this problem, however, you might want to talk with your neighbors to see if they are having similar issues as it might be something to do with the main grid. If not, again, call in an expert to investigate further.

Never ignore these signs of electrical fault because you could be putting yourself and others at risk. Always make sure you have the number of a reliable, knowledgeable electrician in your contact lists for help, or ask for recommendations if you don’t already have one.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here