How to Avoid Common Electrical Hazards

0
102

Electrical hazards are not to be taken lightly. Every electronic appliance, gadget, and equipment we use poses certain risks. A person can experience electric shocks, burns, and other injuries from exposure to electricity.

How to Avoid Common Electrical Hazards

One of the best ways to avoid these risks is by learning about different electrical accidents and how to prevent them. You can do this yourself, but others might require electrical services from professionals. Here are the ways on how to avoid electrical hazards:

Avoid Leaving Electronics Plugged Near Water

Avoid leaving appliances plugged in the bathroom as much as possible, especially if the outlet is close to water sources. Make sure that your drinks are secure to avoid spilling water near appliances and outlets. Also, make sure that your hands are dry before handling electronics to prevent the risk of electric shocks.

If you can’t avoid outlets near water sources, installing Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protected outlets is a good idea. When a person receives an electrical shock, these outlets will immediately cut off power to prevent injury.

Water and electricity together can be hazardous because they can cause electrical shock. There are many instances when it can happen, whether spilling water accidentally or even having appliances near water. Sometimes, sockets are installed near faucets and other water sources, posing a risk for accidents.

Use Power Strips and Outlets Properly

It’s better to plug devices into separate outlets and power strips. Overloading occurs when multiple power strips are connected together and plug high voltage appliances in the same socket. If possible, plug appliances in different outlets instead.

Having multiple high voltage devices plugged simultaneously, using adapters to accommodate more devices, and plugging two or more power strips together can overload power strips and outlets. There is a limit to how much electricity they can handle, and exceeding that can be dangerous. Doing so can cause electrical fires.

Let Electricians Check Your House for Exposed and Faulty Wiring

Have your wiring taken care of by a professional. You can have electricians check your home for faulty wiring. For appliances with exposed wiring, bring them to a repair shop. It’s better to have them fixed by skilled technicians to minimize the risk of injury.

Having faulty wiring is one of the main causes of electrical fires. Old wires can deteriorate and get exposed. Naked cords pose a higher risk for igniting surfaces and causing injuries because nothing protects the electrical current that flows.

Fit the Right Light Bulbs

Always check and make sure that the light bulb you’re fitting has less than or equal the maximum wattage that the lamp can take. Don’t risk overloading it by fitting a bulb with a higher wattage than the lamp. Instead, buy a lamp that can accommodate a higher wattage to have a brighter light.

Lamps also have limits on how much wattage they can safely accommodate. If you use bulbs with a higher wattage on lamps with lower wattage levels, you can risk overloading the lamp, which can cause electrical fires.

Use Proper Extension Cords

If you intend to use an extension cord outdoors, make sure to use one fit for open-air. Don’t plug multiple devices into the cord, and make sure that it’s in good condition. If you see some damage, don’t risk using it. Send it for a repair or buy a new one.

Extension cords are helpful, but they can also be hazardous when misused. It can be a bad idea to use an indoor cord outside because it’s not built to withstand the elements. It’s not advisable to run it under surfaces like rugs and carpets because it can cause electrical fires.

Don’t Use Damaged Appliances

Using damaged appliances is unsafe. If they do not function as they should, have them checked by a professional. These appliances need repair, so send them to a shop as soon as possible. Don’t plug them in because you might risk severe injury if you use damaged equipment.

There are also instances when appliances also pose a risk. Old, malfunctioning appliances can cause injuries, including electrical shocks and burns. They can also cause electrical fires if the appliances are heavily damaged.

Don’t Try to Do It Yourself

Electrical components can be tricky. Electricians should handle most electrical items such as plugs and appliances. Attempting to fix an electrical issue without proper knowledge or training can lead to injuries, and doing so also has a bigger risk of having an electrical fire.

Prevention is better than a cure, so taking precautions can save you from many problems. Call professionals for electrical services to help you avoid electrical accidents. They will make sure that the system in your home is safe to use.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here