Team building is the process of getting individuals to bond and work effectively as a cohesive unit. The main purpose of this process is to create a sense of mutual purpose, understanding and trust among individuals which will in turn improve collaboration, communication, and production.
This process involves a lot of activities that can be carried out in a formal or informal environment. It can also be anchored by in-house facilitators or outsourced to professionals. Most times, companies believe that the former option is all that they need to have a string team building process. However, the truth is that there are times when that will not be enough; you will need team building workshops to make the process more effective. This, therefore, means outsourcing of the process to professionals.
In this article, we will explore the main components of team building and why is important to have workshops to that effect. Our discourse will also highlight the benefits of these workshops for the people within your business.
Components of Team Building
Like we mentioned at the beginning, there are many activities that can be employed in this process, there is no hard and fast rule about the activities but whatever activity you decide to use for this process in your organization, it must involve the following:
- Encouraging Communication – When a group of workers learn to communicate openly and clearly with each other, they are able to prevent misunderstanding and resolve conflicts. This in turn will help keep everyone aligned to the same purpose.
- Building Trust – Without trust, employees will not wholly rely on each other, neither will they share their thoughts freely or work cohesively; therefore building trust is a major component of team building.
- Encouraging Collaboration – This component in the process encourages members of a work squad to leverage each other’s strengths and cover up for weakness while sharing responsibility and working together to achieve a mutual goal.
- Building Morale and Enhancing Motivation – The number one reason why many people are not motivated in a business workplace is because they feel they have no vested interest in the organization. However, building a strong sense of connectedness and value in employees will make them more enthusiastic about their role in the fulfilment of the company’s goals.
- Defining Roles and Responsibilities – In the process of these workshops, everyone’s roles and responsibilities are clarified. This help to stop the issue of overlap in roles or authority and also prevent gaps in execution of tasks.
These are just a few of the components of the process of team building; you can check out this site: https://hr.berkeley.edu/ for more information.
The Importance and Benefits of Team Building Workshops in Businesses
Business workshops that are geared at strengthening the unity of a work squad cannot be overemphasized. These sessions are highly important tools through which businesses create an enabling environment of positivity and efficiency. The benefits that these workshops offer are what make them highly important for any company.
Find below some of these benefits:
No squad can work together effectively unless they understand each other and the shared objective of the company. This understanding can only come through effective communication. These workshops create platform for group members to learn how to express their thoughts effectively, listen to understand and also give feedback that’s not malicious.
When every member of a work squad learns how to communicate effectively, there will be fewer misunderstanding in the workplace which leads to more clarity and a sense of togetherness.
Activities that are carried out during this process often help employees to bond and build positive relationships with each other. When individuals in a group come to know each other better outside their usual official or formal setting, it helps them build a sense of trust. This in turn can help them interact more harmoniously.
When a work squad have a strong bind, their work environment is more pleasant and they get to enjoy their job better. This of course translates to increased productivity.
Conflict is part of life wherever you find more than one individual. Therefore, it will be remiss of any business not to expect conflict in the workplace. The problem only arises when people do not have conflict resolution skills.
Thankfully, team building workshops help to teach group members how to resolve conflicts in a way that builds positivity and not toxicity. Each individual on the group is encouraged and taught how to work with people with divergent views on life issues while maintaining the harmony in the workspace. You can read this article on how to enhance your conflict resolution skills.
Team building workshops are quite important for every business entity because of the numerous benefits that they offer. We have discussed some of these benefits but note that our list is not exhaustive. You need to engage these workshops so that you can fully enjoy all the benefits.