Tamil Nadu Housing Board or TNHB was a small organization when it formed back in 1947, after independence. It was initiated under the name of City Improvement Trust and grew steadily with time until in 1961, when it was renamed. The organization grew because of the increasing demand for housing.
The demand for housing saw massive growth as people from neighboring villages and towns migrated into the urbanized areas in search of better employment opportunities and standard of living.
Thus, TNHB implemented several measures and methodologies to ensure citizens received affordable housing.
TNHB Housing Scheme
The board offers houses at subsidized prices to all income groups of the Indian economy. The scheme is highly beneficial to the people who are planning to avail a housing loan in India. It offers considerable subsidies on interest payments on the loan amount under PMAY CLSS. All you have to do is apply for the scheme after choosing a lender for your home loan.
Make sure you compare and evaluate lenders before choosing one. Several non-banking financial companies specialise on credit instruments that provide funds with borrower-friendly features like minimal documentation and low EMIs. However, you must make sure you have an adequate CIBIL score for a home loan.
Features of Tamil Nadu Housing Board Housing Schemes
1. They use high quality materials and modern techniques of construction.
2. They cater to the housing needs of every income group in an economy with its housing schemes, viz. a viz. –
- Economically Weaker Sections (EWS)
- Lower Income Group (LIG)
- Middle Income Group (MIG)
- Higher Income Group (HIG)
3. The board has a unique capacity of building large housing complexes and neighbourhoods that are self-sustained.
Ashok Nagar Project of the Board
Recently, TNHB has taken on a project in Ashok Nagar, Chennai to build a 22-storeyed housing-cum-commercial building. The site used to be a shopping complex; it has almost been demolished to begin construction work for the above-mentioned project. The high-rise is said to be the most ambitious project ever undertaken by the board as far as height is concerned. It is planned in a way to offer many unique and beneficial features to the residents.
The building is said to have beneficial features that are unique in the sense that the board has never undertaken a project of this type and magnitude.
- The 22-storeyed housing structure will have 226 apartment units in it.
- The first 4 floors will be the commercial complex, and the top 18 floors are for housing purposes only.
- The area of the project is spread over 2.13 Acres.
- The building will offer a flat space of 1200 square feet to the high-income groups.
- It is situated in a prime location that is diagonally opposite to the Ashok Nagar Metro Rail Station.
- There is also entertainment amenities like Udhayam Theatre multiplex located almost next to the complex.
TNHB is expecting a high demand for housing space because of these features and amenities that provide well transportation and connectivity with other places of the city.
How to Apply?
The borrowers must first buy an application form that costs Rs. 225 for Low Income Groups (LIG) and Rs. 560 for High Income Groups (HIG) from the board. Then, they will have to fill out the form faithfully with due details as asked for, which are then required to be submitted to the office of executive engineer and administrative officer in Thirumangalam.
You must determine your income group and amount of loan required before you avail a home loan in Chennai. Using a home loan EMI calculator is also beneficial to calculate the monthly installments.