Preparing for unforeseen medical bills and simultaneously providing a safety net for yourself and your family become imperative as we accept the new normal. The world as we know it has altered because of COVID-19! The finest preventative strategy to guarantee a more wholesome and financially stable future is insurance. If you’re thinking about getting health insurance, it’s crucial to pick the best plan for you and your family, especially when it comes to health insurance plans for senior citizens. You won’t be able to avoid burning a hole in your pocket by simply getting health insurance. To protect yourself against debt and financial stress, you must have the appropriate level of coverage.
Not just for Corona but for any medical emergency, health insurance is a crucial financial instrument. Health insurance for senior citizens is essential when it comes to your family. In the event of a medical emergency, would they be willing to donate their lifelong savings to a hospital? We guess not. Do you realise how much a 5-day stay at a respectable hospital will cost you, even for non-surgical care? The numbers may seem overwhelming.
As an elderly person, if you have one of the best health insurance plans for senior citizens, you may at least choose to receive treatment at the best hospitals without worrying about the cost.
According to statistics, healthcare requirements typically double at age 45 and then again at age 65. Senior citizens, therefore, have the greatest need for assistance in affording their care, strictly from a practical aspect.
Although Medicare, which those 65 and older can participate in, qualifies as satisfying this criterion, the answer is “yes” if your query is something else, such as “are elderly citizens needed to acquire ACA-compliant insurance policies?” Additionally, there are add-on policies to cover any gaps in Medicare coverage, which are strongly advised.
Why are senior citizens required to have health insurance?
An elderly individual should have insurance for a variety of reasons, including:
1. Meeting the Increasing Costs of Healthcare:
Due to the increase in medical costs, it will be very challenging to cover all of the associated costs. To continue using the services of the best medical facilities, it is crucial to have Mediclaim coverage.
2. A facility for medical examinations:
The frequency of medical examinations rises as people age. Seniors are often asked to undergo a complete physical checkup once a year. These checkups might get expensive. The price of these yearly checkups might be lowered with the use of insurance coverage.
3. Insurance for Critical Illness:
Critical illnesses like cancer, heart disease, and kidney disease are more likely to develop as people age. It is always preferable to be prepared with health insurance to pay for the high costs of treatment.
4. Mental tranquillity:
Since no one can predict when you will fall ill or be given a diagnosis of a disease, it is best to be ready in case of an emergency so that your finances are not severely impacted.
Top 10 best health insurance for senior citizens in India:
According to their claim settlement ratio, the top 10 health insurance providers are listed below.
- NAVI Health Insurance
- IFFCO Tokio
- Raheja QBE
- Star Health and Allied Insurance
- HDFC ERGO
- ICICI Lombard
- HDFC ERGO
- ICICI Lombard
- Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Bajaj Allianz
Things To Consider Before Finalising a Senior Citizen. Health Insurance Policy:
These considerations are important to keep in mind when settling on a particular senior citizen mediclaim policy:
1) Without any preconditions: If they are dealing with a pre-existing condition, seniors may have to accept a waiting period before their health insurance kicks in. After a certain period of time has passed, the insurance coverage will commence. Selecting a health plan with the least waiting period is a wise move.
2) Checkups for health: Free annual checks are a great perk of a senior citizen health plan. It’s not cheap to get annual checkups as you become older.
3) Copayments are reduced: At the time a claim is filed, the covered person is responsible for paying any necessary copayments. A health care plan for the elderly must ask for a lower copayment to make the insurance easier to run due to the fact that having a regular fixed income in old age is not guaranteed. The minimum amount of coverage required by an insurance plan for senior citizens is higher, and the premium payment period is shorter.
4) Age: It’s possible that a senior citizen will be experiencing serious age-related health problems at the time they apply for insurance. Health insurance rates are calculated by factoring in the policyholder’s age, health status, and level of care that they may need. Therefore, one should select a plan that has the lowest rate while still offering adequate coverage.
5) Medical case history: Although there are benefits to becoming older, the premium may increase if the quantity and severity of health problems increase.
6) Geographical location: Where you live can have a significant impact on the total price tag of medical care and all its accompanying charges. Greater protection is required for city dwellers than for those in Tier I, Tier II, or Tier III areas.
Insurance plan for senior citizens in India is extremely important. It plays a huge role in protecting and insuring them against the potential financial hardship that can come from having a chronic condition and costly treatments. The benefits that are available with a medical insurance policy can be life-changing. An affordable, high-quality, and comprehensive health insurance plan is what you should aim for when getting a senior citizen mediclaim policy.
If you currently do not have a health insurance plan or are unsure which one is right for you and your family, it might be a good idea to talk to a financial advisor or medical professional about the options available in your area. Health insurance plans for senior citizens are extremely important because it plays a huge role in protecting and insuring them against the potential financial hardship that can come from having a chronic condition and costly treatments. The benefits that are available with a medical insurance plan can be life-changing.