We cannot reiterate enough the importance of water to our health and various body functions. That’s why staying hydrated is a must, glugging those eight glasses or more throughout the day.
Tap, bottled, distilled, or mineral. We all know these water kinds, but have you heard already about the alkaline water? Let’s see what it is and what benefits it offers that is different, or yet better, than the usual water sources in our homes.
What is Alkaline Water
Water or H2O is a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. It’s pH level, which can range from 0 to 14, determines how acidic it is. The mid-range, pH level 7, is considered as balanced or neutral. When the pH level is less than the neutral, then the water is acidic. If it is higher, then it is alkaline.
In the US, their environment agency says that tap water’s pH level should be at 6.5 to 8.5. Though there are some places wherein the water’s pH scale falls between 4.3 to 5.3 levels.
On the other hand, alkaline water has a higher pH level that typically sets at 8 or 9. Enthusiasts believe that the alkaline in the water can neutralize the acid in the body.
The alkalinity of the water does not solely depend on its pH level. Most alkaline water or devices sold in the market also has alkaline minerals and ORP or negative oxidation-reduction potential. The ORP can make the water pro or antioxidant, the more negative it is, the better for antioxidation.
You can also make your tap water alkaline just by adding a lemon squeeze or dropping some Alkaline herbs and oils to it.
What are the Health Claims?
Proponents of water alkaline believe the following health benefits from drinking alkaline water:
- Better hydration. The increased hydrogen present in the alkaline water gives the body greater hydration, especially after a round or two of a hard workout.
- Immune system maintenance. Most of the alkaline-forming foods are green veggies, fruits, and fresh Alkaline herbs. Nutritious meals, as well as alkaline-rich water, indeed boost your immune system and help you stay healthy and illness-free.
- Anti-aging components with the help of antioxidants. Many celebrities are raving about the alkaline diet due to its anti-aging benefits.
- Skin wellness and detoxifying properties. Alkaline herbs and oils, which you can add to your water or meals, can aid in different skin issues such as psoriasis, acne, and eczema.
- Weight loss. One way to lose weight is by increasing your metabolic rate, and alkaline water contributes to boosting your metabolism.
- GERD and acid reflux cure. Some studies conclude that high-alkaline water acts as acid-buffers, which can have therapeutic effects for people with reflux disease.
- Colon-cleansing attributes. Colon detoxification is vital to free the gut from toxins and achieve healthy digestion. Alkaline water and Alkaline herbs such as Burdock root can effectively detoxify your small and large intestines.
- Cancer prevention. There is a theory that states cancer cells survive in an acidic environment, and alkaline water can starve such unwanted cells.
Can Alkaline water do wonders?
Research and studies about the benefits of alkaline water are limited. Thus, some health professionals still doubt the effects of drinking alkaline water.
But as long as it is safe, moderated, and free of bad chemicals, adding some cucumber slices or Alkaline herbs to your tap water will do you more good than harm.